Court Action to Collect Debt in Northern Ireland

The debt advice on this article applies to individuals living in Northern Ireland only.

Deliberately ignoring your creditors will result in legal or court action against you to collect what you owe. This decision is usually the last resort of your creditors to recover the debt.

If judicial action is initiated, most of your unsecured debt, such as store cards, credit cards, overdrafts, or personal loans will be administered through the County Court. If your debt is less than £3,000, your creditor may recover the debt through the County Court’s small claim processes. Nevertheless, there are unusual deviations. For instance, debts over £30,000 or mortgage processes will normally be administered within the High Court.

Civil Bills and County Court Judgments

Once your creditor wishes to apply for a CCJ or county court judgment against you, the initial step that they have to consider is to dispense a civil bill. 

The civil bill describes the total debt or amount you need to repay and includes the reason for the claim. If you receive a civil bill, you must act on it urgently by paying the entire amount of negotiating with your creditor for possible payment arrangements.

What results if I can’t pay?

If you fail to comply with your obligations your creditor can forward the CCJ to an Enforcement of Judgement Officer or EJO to handle your case in recovery the debt. The EJO has several measures in place in collecting the debt. Aside from collecting the money, they can impose certain additional charges that will be sum up to your debt.

If you find it hard to pay your CCJ or county court judgment or any of your arrears, we can help you get back on track with your finances. Should you wish to improve your circumstances and get rid of your debts, contact us.